Will antibody avidity affect my pregnancy?

Answered by: Prof Mini Sood

Associate Professor, Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology,University Technology Mara,Malaysia

Q. I am a 23 years old female and had an abortion about 3 months back. Now my TORCH test shows CMV IgG positive with antibody avidity 60 and Rubella IgG positive with antibody avidity 80. What is the significance of avidity? How it is going to affect my future pregnancy?

A.  Get an IGM titre, if negative - can plan a baby by waiting for 6 months to a year. If still positive – you will need treatment and follow-up till it is negative, or titres are reducing. Once pregnant, you will need to redo the levels and also have a detailed fetal scan. The risk of abnormality, preterm labour, still birth or abortion is there if titres are still high while pregnant. The risk is low - but higher than for a normal titre individual.