My son has had typhoid, malaria and jaundice in a year, please help?

Thursday, 06 January 2005
Answered by: Dr. Satish Saluja
Consultant Neonatologist,
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital,

Q. My son has been suffering from jaundice and the doctor prescribed Silymarin suspension. How does it help? My son was born before the date of delivery (around 8 months). Since then he has suffered from Typhoid, Malaria and Jaundice in a year. I couldn't find the correct solution for my son. Is there any insufficiency of immunity or something else? Kindly advise me as in my town there is no experienced child specialist.

A.  Typhoid and jaundice are water born diseases, so be careful about drinking water and avoid eating unhygienic food. Malaria is transmitted through mosquitoes and you got to take all precautions to prevent mosquito bites. If he is otherwise healthy and not getting any other repeated infections not likely to be immune deficiency. If the jaundice is because of hepatitis A or E then medications have very virtually no role, recovery is usually spontaneous.