Is my wife pregnant?

Friday, 25 March 2011
Answered by: Prof Shalini Rajaram
Professor, Dept. of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, UCMS & GTB Hospital, New Delhi

Q. My 32 years old wife had a contraceptive device Copper T inserted five months back. After that her periods came normally for 3 months. She had her last period two months back. Is she pregnant? Is pregnancy possible with copper T already inside? She is also suffering from thyroid. Around 20 days back, copper T was removed.

A.  There are failures with Cu-T so this is possible. You can continue the pregnancy if you want to or even terminate it as it is still possible (she’s 7 weeks + 4 days today). The chances that all will be normal are high but there is a small chance of abortion or preterm labour. Is your wife’s thyroid status normal? She should see an endocrinologist soon especially if she is planning to continue pregnancy.