How can my hair fall be managed?

Friday, 04 March 2011
Answered by: Dr Kamlendar Singh
Senior Consultant, Dermatology and Venereology, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi

Q. I am a 20 years old student treated for alopecia areata 14 years back. For the last two years, I am losing my hair immensely. The doctor prescribed Tugain foam 5% and minoxidil during my two visits. He also gave vitamin tablets - nervigen. Am I on right treatment? Medicines don’t suit me as my hair is extremely oily, so I have to wash my hair frequently. How can my hair fall be managed?

A.  Medicines which contain minoxidil are useful in androgenetic alopecia. The drug minoxidil inhibits the enzyme 5-alpha reductase which converts testosterone into 5DHT. It is this 5DHT which stops the hair from re-growing. Therefore, minoxidil will be effective only in cases where 5-alpha reductase is involved in the genesis of alopecia. In the genesis of alopecia areata (AA) this enzyme has no role. Hence from scientific point of view, minoxidil has no role in AA.