Why wasn’t pregnancy detected during laparoscopy?

Tuesday, 25 January 2011
Answered by: Dr B Shakuntala Baliga MD (AIIMS), FICOG
Professor and Senior Consultant Gynecologist & Colposcopist Mazumdar-Shaw Center for Cancer Research & Narayana Hrudayalaya Multispecialty Hospital, Bangalore

Q. My 33 years old wife is 18 weeks pregnant. She underwent hysteroscopic and laparoscopy three months back, which came out normal. Only both tubes are tabular and slightly dilated but there is no adhesion. She also underwent a dye test. My wife’s last period happened five months back. After that, laparoscopy was done. How is it possible that pregnancy was undetectable during laparoscopy? She is on these medicines – Tidilan, Folvite, Ferronine (60 mg), Microgest (200 mg) and injection Ovutrig HP -5000 IU (weekly). Can the prescribed medicines affect pregnancy?

A.  Early pregnancy that is soon after implantation in uterus cannot be detected easily. I guess your doctor did advise you not to have unprotected sex after LMP and before the operation? I usually perform these procedures soon after menses - and if impossible to schedule it to ensure the couple has abstained or had contraception.

From the USG it seems she has conceived in the cycle during hystero-laparoscopy. Unbelievable that pregnancy has continued despite dye test. It is almost a miracle. Ensure the USG has been done by an experienced person and your doctor will correlate it with his physical examination findings. I do not think there is need for the injections at this stage - no side effects on baby but why give without any use? Tidilan and progesterone are probably being given empirically to prevent abortion (if your wife has been assessed at high risk).