What is the best time to take thyroxine?

Tuesday, 30 November 2010
Answered by: Prof Dinesh Dhanwal
Prof of Medicine and Head of Endocrinology, Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi

Q. I am a 55 years old bipolar patient who is taking Valporate (1500 mg) and Escitalopram Oxalate (30 mg) daily. To control my thyroid levels, I am taking thyroxine (50 mcg) empty stomach on an empty stomach. Can I take thyroxine after eating something? What is the best time to take thyroxine?

A.  Thyroxine, a drug used for treatment of hypothyrodism is advised to be taken early morning in fasting state. This is due to the fact that food interferes with absorption of thyroxine. Best time to take thyroxine are 1. Early morning in fasting stateone can take tea after 30-60 minutes. 2. Two hrs after dinner is also reasonable.