Can I be denied a job due to my HIV status?

Wednesday, 18 August 2010
Answered by: Dr Bir Singh
Faculty Incharge, Sex and Marriage Counselling Clinic Co-ordinator, AIDS Education & Training Cell, Professor of Community Medicine AIIMS, New Delhi- 110029

Q. I am a 34 years old HIV positive man but I do not have AIDS. I have been selected in a good organisation through interview and have got an offer letter. They have asked me to get some medical tests done. Can I be denied the job due to my HIV status?

A.  To reject a person only on the basis of his / her being HIV positive is not an acceptable practice. You can challenge your rejection (if it occurs) on the basis of HIV infection in a court of law because it amounts to discrimination.