Can I take Methycobal?

Answered by: Dr Monica Mahajan

Associate Director, Internal Medicine, Max Hospital, New Delhi

Q. I am a 27 years old female have vitamin B12 serum level of 153.1 and vitamin D3 of 5.1. I have a history of malnutrition. Is it safe to take Methycobal (tablet Mecobalamin 500mcg) thrice a day for three months?

A.  It is OK to use methycobal in this dose but also keep in mind the fact that there is malabsorption history. So check vitamin B12 levels at the end of three months. If there is frequent diarrhoea, injectable vitamin B12 maybe used. Deworming would be a good idea. Vitamin D needs to be separately supplemented, as this does not contain vitamin D.