What is the use of Placentrex injection and Uterone tablets?

Answered by: Dr Chandra M Gulhati

Editor, MIMS, New Delhi

Q. I am a 35 years old housewife. I have urticaria or hives. What is the use of Placentrex injection and Uterone tablets?

A.  Placentrex is derived from human placenta and has been banned in US and other developed countries due to potentially serious side effects such as transmission of known and unknown infections, particularly viruses. Uterone contains progesterone indicated in the treatment of secondary amenorrhoea, dysfunctional uterine bleeding and hormonal replacement therapy and in progesterone deficiency states.