Is Olmezest AM necessary for controlling high blood pressure?

Tuesday, 01 June 2010
Answered by: Dr Chandra M Gulhati
Editor, MIMS, New Delhi

Q. I am a 49 years old male who had a problem of high blood pressure six months back. The doctor had prescribed Olmezest AM in the morning after breakfast. After taking the prescribed medicine, my blood pressure got stabilised. But for the past 15 days, my blood pressure has been ranging near 110/70 mm/hg. I also feel heavy headed. Now, I am taking homeopathic medicines and half a dose of Olmezest AM. I want to stop the Olmezest AM and am not interested in any other allopathic medicine. I also suffer from anxiety and phobia. What are the side effects of Olmezest AM?

A.  You are taking a combination product that contains two medicines: olmesartan and amlodipine. Two drugs are to be prescribed only if one medicine is not adequate; otherwise it leads to overdosing and addition to side effects. Therefore, Olmezest AM is not appropriate in your case. The very fact that your BP has dropped to below normal (110/70) proves that excessive medication is being taken. The first step in your case should be to stop Olmezest AM and take just amlodipine (sold as Amlodac) 5mg daily in the morning. After about three weeks your blood pressure should stabilize in the range of below 140/90 mm/hg. I am unable to advise you about homoeopathic medicines.