What is hypoplastic uterus and how it can be treated?

Answered by: Prof Mini Sood

Associate Professor, Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology,University Technology Mara,Malaysia

Q. I am a 37 years old woman. I got married nine years back, but still have no child. I never had my periods. I consulted a gynaecologist, who told me that I have no womb. My appearance is just like any other woman. Recently, I went to another doctor, who performed an ultrasound scan and diagnosed that I have a womb and ovaries but not fully developed. The doctor called it hypoplastic uterus. What is hypoplastic uterus? How it can be treated?

A.  If the womb is small it is called a hypoplastic womb. You are already 37 years old and now in an age group where having a baby means tremendous work - 1. (First investigations to see if there is a chromosomal defect, study for possibility of egg formation, once underlying condition is diagnosed, then chances of treatment with assisted reproductive methods like IVF, after long (1 – 2 – 3 years) of hormone replacement to start periods, egg forming drugs to have normal cycles, then assisted conception. There is no guarantee, that all these will ultimately see a successful baby - although, few scattered reports of success are given in literature. The whole process, is time consuming, many trips to hospital, with stress, cost, and risks of failures. Once conception does occur - testing for a normal baby too is required and risk of abortion occurring very high (over 50%). 2. The other surer, certain, cheaper and possibly quicker option is adopting a baby. The choice will rest with you and your spouse - as to what suits you better.