Is there a permanent treatment for varicose veins?

Tuesday, 03 November 2009
Answered by: Dr Shiban Chaku

Q. I am a 42 years old male suffering from varicose veins in my left leg. I found it when there was bleeding from my ankle. My doctor told me to wear stockings and he told me that after some time they will do a colour Doppler scan of my leg and then only they will be able to advise me on the further course of treatment. Is there any permanent solution for this varicose vein problem or do I have to wear stockings forever?

A.  The management of bleeding varicose veins in the short term is quite correct, to wear stockings. It is also appropriate to have the colour Doppler/Duplex scan done for the varicose veins. The further treatment will depend on the result of the Doppler result. It is very much likely that you may need an operation. The surgery can be done if the deep veins are not seriously damaged and if you agree to have the operation done. If you decide against the operation, then you will need stocking for indefinite period, otherwise, the varicose veins will continue to get worse and there is always a risk that there may be further bleeding from the ankle.