Is it normal to vomit blood during pregnancy?

Thursday, 15 October 2009
Answered by: Prof Mini Sood
Associate Professor, Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology,University Technology Mara,Malaysia

Q. I am 15 weeks pregnant, have been vomiting a lot. At times, I also vomit out blood. Is it normal? Do I need to consult a doctor?

A.  Yes, you need to consult a doctor immediately. You will need medication to stop the vomiting and advice on type and frequency of meals along with Vitamin B supplements. You need to be checked out for dehydration as well as reason for blood, which could arise from loose teeth/gum infection/ gastritis/ mouth ulcers/incidental one time bleed. Bland food, with less oil/spices/ dry taken in small frequent meals with no early morning empty stomach- could take care of most of your symptoms. If not handled well and in time- it can become a recurring condition and more serious needing hospitalisation.