Is hystero-salpingography (HSG) a safe test?

Friday, 18 September 2009
Answered by: Dr Niraj Krishnamurthy
Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, London

Q. I am a 29 years old married woman and am trying to conceive, but not get any result. I got an ultrasound of the whole abdomen, follicle study, urine and haemoglobin test 9 months back; all tests were normal. The doctor gave me Lupigest 200 and Augopen for 5 months. Then she again repeated ultrasound, blood and TORCH test for any infection. She said all tests are normal and keep trying for baby you will get result. But I could not succeed. So I consulted another doctor and she asked me for another test in which they will take a piece from the uterus for checking and a HSG test. Are these tests safe? Is there any side effect? Please advise.

A.  HSG (Hystero-Salpingo-Gram) is a radiological procedure, which is aimed at establishing if the fallopian tubes are open. It involves pushing in a contrast medium through the cervix and X-rays are taken. It also assesses the cavity of uterus and identifies any obvious problems. This procedure can be uncomfortable but not painful.

Taking a biopsy from the uterus (womb) is quite commonly performed procedure. It is commonly known as D & C. It does not have any significant side effects. Very occasionally there can be injury to your uterus while dilating (opening) the cervix. This is however, rare. This procedure needs to be done under anaesthesia and therefore not painful.