What does reactive HIV- 1/2 blood test mean?

Monday, 03 August 2009
Answered by: Dr Bir Singh
Professor of Community Medicine (Public Health), AIIMS, New Delhi -110029

Q. I am a 27 years old male. I donated blood at a blood donation camp at my office. Now, I have got a letter from them saying that the screening test for HIV1/2 antibody is reactive and the confirmatory results was IFA negative. Am I suffering from AIDS? I am very scared. Please tell me what to do.

A.  If the blood test for HIV done at the Blood Bank was reactive for HIV - 1/2 antibodies, you need to go to a nearest "Integrated Counselling & Testing Centre" (ICTC) for further tests. These ICTCs are located in all District Hospitals and Govt. Medical Colleges in the Country. Find the one closest to your home and visit it.