How much weight can I lose by walking?

Tuesday, 10 March 2009
Answered by: Ms. Neeta Garg
Fitness expert and Psychologist
Apollo Clinic
Gurgaon

Q. I am a 15 years old boy weighing 74 kg and my height is 174 cm. I walk daily for half an hour early in the morning. How much weight can I lose in one month?

A.  This query can not be answered in isolation of various facts: current weight, age, whether you are male or female, your intake in terms of calories, your output in terms of how long you walk, the distance you cover and at what intensity, the terrain on which you walk, etc. To give you an approximation, a 70 kgs male may lose about anywhere from 250-400 calories per hour by walking. To lose 1 pound, a person must take in 3500 fewer calories that he or she expends. To lose 1 pound each week, there needs to be a decrease of 500 calories per day. If you decrease your daily intake by 500 calories, and you exercise, you should lose more than 1 pound in a week. 1 kg is equal to 2.2 pounds. i.e. the amount of calories to lose 1 kg is about 1700 calories.