Does Nexpro 40 have any side effects?

Friday, 07 November 2008

Q. I have been suffering from chronic acidity for a long time. I consulted a gastroenterologist who suggested endoscopy, which detected reflux. I have been taking Nexpro 40 for the past 3 months now and the doctor has told me that I have to take it for a long time. I want to know if Nexpro 40 has any side effects?

A.  Nexpro is the brand name and the name of the medicine is esomeprazole. It is quite similar to omeprazole (Ocid), pantoprazole (Pantodac) and lansoprazole (Lanzol); hence one can use any of them. The side effects of Nexpro are: Stomatitis (mouth ulcers). Myalgia (muscle pain). Gynaecomastia (enlargement of breast) in men. Blurred vision, reduction in white blood cells,depression, alopaecia (loss of scalp hair). Liver failure, fungal infections of the gastro-intestinal tract, interstitial nephritis (kidney inflammation), taste disturbance, agitation, aggression, hallucinations, hyperhidrosis (incraesd sweating), photosensitivity, bronchospasm. Duodenitis, oesophagitis. Oesophageal stricture or ulceration or varices. Gastric ulcer, gastritis, hernia, benign polyps or nodules, Barretts oesophagus, mucosal discoloration, etc.